- Plants will show symptoms of heat stress, root flooding, unbalanced pH, and root rot.
- New leaves will twist or sag
- The leaves will bubble and curl towards the back
- The edge of the leaf is upturned
- The distribution of mites is uneven, and the infection symptoms caused by them will be particularly obvious in some places, but not in some places.
- The buds at the flowering stage will get sick and die
- Infested with mites, newly grown leaves may be twisted, blistered and “damp”. If the plant is blooming, the bud may turn brown and die.
- Growth distortion
- The edges may bend upwards, as if the plant is under heat stress, but the broad leaves have a smooth, almost plastic appearance. Eventually the affected leaves turn yellow or bronze and die.The biggest reason why it is difficult to diagnose mites is that we can’t see the appearance of the bug, nor can we see the bite marks on the leaves. For many people, they don’t even realize that the mites are infested.
- Sometimes the parietal leaves droop. It can be seen that part of the drooping leaves became bubbly and curled toward the back.
After getting rid of mites treatment, and began to recover. You can see that the latest growth looks dull, while the previously damaged leaves still look smooth and blistered.
If the plant returns to health temporarily, it should be treated continuously for at least a few weeks. The mites are likely to hide in the plant and prepare to break out again. If a plant is infected with mites, it is difficult to remove it, and the eggs of the mites are even more difficult to remove.
Attention to detail
- Once you are sure that your plant is infected with mites, it is time to lose consciousness of the entire plant. Many acaricides on the market are not very effective, and most of them only have an inhibitory effect.
- Mites are the most difficult pests to eradicate, so be vigilant at all times.
- Remove the infected part of the plant immediately and carefully. If there are already a large number of mites in the plant tissue, do not hesitate to remove the entire part. Our main goal is to stop the spread of infestation.
- Stay treated. For the parts with mild or asymptomatic infections, we should maintain long-term regular mite treatment, and maintain at least 3 weeks of treatment after no mite symptoms.
- Spray acaricide after turning off the lights. The anti-mite agents are mostly sticky, which will hinder the respiration and transpiration of the plant, and it is likely to “heat to death” the plant. So we try to spray the medicine after the plants go to bed at night.
Method of removing mites
Fusidic acid ointment. The medicines I know so far are really effective for removing mites. Although they are used to wipe the skin, they can also be used on plants. First apply a little on the upper part of the plant, spray it with a kettle, and let the flowing water spread evenly on the plant. Or mix a little in the watering can (don’t plug the spout too thick), and spray the plants.
Sulfur soap. Can not kill mites, but can repel mites. Because it contains sulfur, it can only be diluted and wiped with a towel.
Mites are afraid of heat and dry. Some growers put the plants in hot water at 40 degrees Celsius to soak the plants. This method cannot exceed 2 hours, otherwise the plants will be heat dead. And then dry the roots to prevent the plants from drowning.
Infrared radiation. This method is also useful for people. You must pay attention to the distance and time when irradiating. It is recommended that you and the plants are dried together. When you can’t stand it, the basic plants are in place.
Sun exposure. This method can cause light burning. It is recommended to use it during the strong growth period of the plant. The single time should not exceed 3 hours, and this method cannot be used continuously, at most once every 3 days.
There are so many plant extracts, vacuum cleaners, lavender, wormwood, ultraviolet rays, essential oils, etc. on other markets that are all useless. Don’t waste money on those false advertisements.
There are also many mites on our skin, which can cause acne, skin inflammation and other diseases. If you have any effective acne treatment methods, you can also use them on plants. If it works, please be sure to share it in the comment section.